Skip to content
19+ Independent coverage of Canada's regulated gambling market
Gambling news · Canada
BUSINESS August 20, 2026

Bally’s May Sell Las Vegas Ballpark Project as Cash Crunch Bites

An unnamed buyer wants Bally’s 26-acre Las Vegas site by the A’s new ballpark, as the operator scrambles for cash across its casino projects.

This article was produced with AI assistance and edited by the ON360 newsroom.

Bally’s Corporation may sell its planned Las Vegas development surrounding the Athletics’ new ballpark, according to a report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal cited by Gambling Insider. The move would give the financially stretched casino operator another way to raise cash as liquidity pressure builds across its major projects.

An unidentified buyer has reportedly expressed interest in acquiring Bally’s 26-acre mixed-use site at the former Tropicana Las Vegas property. No deal was in place as of the report, but the parties reportedly need to reach one before Thursday’s Las Vegas Stadium Authority meeting to keep the project’s first phase on track for a 2028 opening alongside the ballpark.

Deadline looms before stadium authority meeting

Bally’s, the Athletics and landlord Gaming and Leisure Properties (GLPI) are required to give an update on the development at Thursday’s meeting. If no sale agreement is reached beforehand, a source told the Review-Journal that Bally’s is prepared to proceed with the project on its own.

Phase one of the plan includes a multilevel podium on the northwest portion of the site, with three levels of parking topped by a plaza offering retail, dining and entertainment. That phase would also house the ballpark’s main entrance. Later phases call for a 2,500-seat theatre, a hotel, a casino and additional retail and entertainment space, with construction permit filings pointing to a 2030 completion target.

Bally’s has previously pegged the cost of the Las Vegas development at roughly $1.19 billion and says it remains confident its partners will back the first phase financially.

Financing squeeze across Bally’s pipeline

The reported buyer interest surfaced days after Bally’s disclosed broader financial strain. In a delayed second-quarter filing, the company said it needs new financing to satisfy liquidity requirements under its revolving credit facility, and warned it could breach its leverage covenant within 12 months without additional funding. Asset sales were listed among the options Bally’s is weighing to raise capital.

Bally’s is simultaneously advancing large casino builds in New York and Chicago. The company has already committed $500 million toward a gaming licence fee and $115 million toward a golf course concession payment tied to its planned $4-billion Bronx resort. The Review-Journal reported that Bally’s views the New York project as particularly attractive, and that proceeds from a Las Vegas sale could help fund it.

In Chicago, roughly $400 million remains of Bally’s minimum $1.34-billion spending commitment for its permanent casino, though much of that construction is being financed through its arrangement with GLPI. The company expects the Chicago project to be finished in early 2027 after several delays.

Bally’s capital obligations are widening further through Bally’s Intralot, whose proposed acquisition of Evoke received shareholder approval this week, according to Gambling Insider.

Why it matters for the wider industry

Bally’s has offered comparatively little public detail on the Las Vegas project even as it laid out financing plans for Chicago and New York in its latest filing. A sale would mark a shift toward monetizing assets to shore up liquidity rather than funding every large-scale build directly — a strategy other North American operators facing tighter credit conditions may watch closely.

For Canadian observers, the situation underscores how thinly stretched capital across simultaneous megaprojects can force operators to reconsider ownership structures even on flagship developments. Ontario and other provincial gaming markets have seen similar consolidation pressures as operators balance expansion ambitions against balance-sheet discipline.

Related: Chicago Council Presses Bally’s to Restart Full $1.7B Casino Build Amid VGT Feud

Related: Caesars Explains Why It Picked Fertitta’s $31 Bid Over Icahn’s Higher $34 Offer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *